Investigations > St Cecilia's
SAINT CECILIA HERITAGE MANSION
HISTORY OF SAINT CECILIA
Saint Cecilia's is a wonderful old mansion consisting of 20 rooms and made from hand-hewn sandstone. Built in 1912 and completed in 1913, it was designed and built by Bishop Joannes Henry Norton who was the first Australian priest to be made a Bishop. It was his pride and joy up until his death in 1923 aged 68.
After his death, his predecessor moved in but only stayed a short time as he stated feeling uncomfortable in this house. It was then converted into a convent and boarding school which it stayed as for 50 years until Annette Barrette Frankel bought it in 1981.
It was Annette who renamed the 'Bishops Palace' to Saint Cecilia after the patron saint of music and the name has stuck ever since.
She opened the doors to the public in 1985 as a hotel and then also later included Murder, Mystery Nights.